Attorney Profile | Michael J. Farrell, Esq.
Michael J. Farrell, Esq.
FARRELL LAW, P.A.
1000 5th Street, Suite 200
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
Tel: (305) 390-0570
Michael J. Farrell graduated, cum laude, from Georgetown University with a Bachelors Degree in Finance and earned his Juris Doctor degree, also cum laude, from the University of Miami, Florida. He is admitted to practice law in state and federal courts in both Florida and California and has also been admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the Labor and Employment Sections of the American Bar Association and the Florida Bar Association and has served as a lecturer at educational seminars for both organizations.
Mr. Farrell has almost 20 years of work experience practicing exclusively in the area of labor and employment law. After completing his law degree, he was hired by the Miami District Office of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”), the federal government agency responsible for enforcement of federal anti-discrimination employment laws. Mr. Farrell worked for the EEOC for approximately 15 years serving in several positions including Investigator, Trial Attorney, Supervisory Trial Attorney and Acting Regional Attorney.
In his role as an EEOC Trial Attorney, Mr. Farrell served as lead trial counsel, or as part of a trial team, in the federal government’s prosecution of workplace discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases throughout Florida. He subsequently served as a Supervisory Trial Attorney in the EEOC’s Miami District Office where he managed a team of 6 Trial Attorneys in litigating cases throughout that Office’s jurisdiction which includes Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Mr. Farrell later served as a Supervisory Trial Attorney for the EEOC’s Los Angeles District Office where he supervised a team of 11 Trial Attorneys in all aspects of the agency’s litigation in Southern California, Nevada, Hawaii and the U.S. Pacific Island Territories. As a Trial Attorney and a Supervisor for the EEOC Mr. Farrell successfully represented the agency in numerous discrimination cases including cases alleging:
- Company-wide sex discrimination against a class of women in hiring and promotions;
- Age-based layoffs targeting older workers;
- Sexually hostile and offensive work environments affecting multiple employees;
- Disability-based discrimination and harassment;
- Severe acts of racial harassment against African American and Hispanic employees;
- Intentional retaliation against employees for complaining of illegal discrimination;
- Unlawful medical leave policies, medical examinations and disability-related medical questions in the hiring process;
- Sexual harassment and discrimination against migrant farmworkers;
- Pregnancy discrimination; and
- Wrongful discharge based on religious beliefs.
|Cases in which Mr. Farrell represented the EEOC have frequently been reported in the press and he has been quoted in several publications including:|
Mr. Farrell also spent several years practicing labor and employment law in private practice in Central Florida. As an Associate Attorney with the firm of Jill S. Schwartz & Associates he continued to represent employees in discrimination and harassment claims. He also provided legal advice and representation to both employers and employees regarding other labor and employment law related issues including:
- Minimum wage and overtime pay laws;
- Florida’s Whistleblower protection laws;
- The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”);
- Employment contracts;
- Severance agreements;
- Non-compete agreements; and
- Workplace policies including leave policies, progressive discipline, etc.
Mr. Farrell also has extensive experience in providing EEO consulting and training services. Since 1994 Mr. Farrell has served as a frequent lecturer, guest speaker and trainer for the EEOC; federal, state and local law enforcement agencies; the Society for Human Resource Management (“SHRM”); state and local bar associations; local chambers of commerce; and private employers in Florida, California and Nevada. He has also conducted EEO-related educational presentations at national and state events including the Industry Liaison Group (“ILG”) National Conference and the Florida Governor’s Workshop on the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”).